MAPL Tournament Information
|Tournament Information||2018 Teams||Schedule & Results||Headliner Showcase||Event FAQ||Event Vendors||Event Sponsors||About MAPL|
Hampton MAPL | Tournament Information
All MAPL events kick off the Hampton MAPL competition season each year with the Hampton Roads event on January 27-28, 2018. MAPL Hampton is sanctioned by USA Volleyball through the Old Dominion Region.
MAPL [pronounced "M-apple"] is a power league for elite junior girls' volleyball teams along the mid-Atlantic coast. MAPL provides high level inter-regional competition while minimizing travel costs [NO Stay-to-Play requirements] and missed days of school. MAPL events are held exclusively on the weekends and guarantee a minimum of six  matches. If you want it ALL - cost-effective, weekend only, quality competition - MAPL is the PERFECT FIT.
Hampton MAPL | Event Locations
To support the addition of the RED division at the Hampton event, a second site was added in 2015. The Boo Williams Sportsplex location enables larger fields for both the BLACK and BLUE divisions, and is located less than 3 miles away from the Hampton Roads Convention Center. The increased size of the MAPL Hampton event allows for more team participation in the Raleigh and York events.
The event will be held at two locations:
Hampton Roads Convention Center [Black and Blue Divisions]
- Boo Williams Sportsplex [Black, Blue and Red Divisions]
5 Armistead Pointe Parkway
Hampton, VA 23666
Black & Blue Divisions:
- Will play at Hampton Roads Convention Center on 18 courts
- Will play at the Boo Williams Sportsplex on 4 courts
- Participants will not be allowed into the facility until 7 AM
- Will play at the Boo Williams Sportsplex
- Participants will not be allowed into the facility until 7 AM
Hampton MAPL | Tournament Registration
MAPL events consider past and current team performance as a primary consideration for acceptance into MAPL events. When new teams apply for a MAPL event they will be prompted to complete an online survey allowing them to best characterize their team performance, makeup, and competition. Results as posted in Advanced Event Systems [AES] are used as a primary determinant for acceptance [when available] and seeding at all events. Teams are accepted on a rolling basis by the MAPL Competition Committee.
- MAPL Hampton tournament registration OPENS in AES on October 17, 2017.
- This is NOT an open entry tournament where team acceptance is done on a first-come, first-served basis. Alternatively, acceptance criteria is based on team performance relative to strength of field and rests strongly on performance history and strength of a teams' competition schedule. Full acceptance is Wednesday December 20, 2017.
- TEAMS MUST COMPLETE A PRE-ACCEPTANCE SURVEY which is used to assist the MAPL Competition Committee with team acceptance criteria. To complete the survey visit https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MAPLearly
- Teams are permitted to register for the event without rosters. However, it is imperative that rosters be loaded into AES as soon as possible to ensure that coaches, team representatives, etc. receive vital tournament information via AES email. ROSTER DEADLINE: Jan. 17, 2018
- Teams play in mixed age divisions. BLACK [16-18's]; BLUE [14-16's], and RED [13-14's]. It is typical that less than ten 16's teams play in the BLACK division and less than 10-14's teams play in the BLUE division.
- Final division assignment [for 16s teams requesting to play in Black and 14s teams requesting to play in BLUE] will be following the MLK weekend events.
- Seeding will rely primarily on results as found in AES. It is each team's responsibility to maintain their results in AES for seeding purposes.
- REFUND POLICY: A full refund will be given with written notice to Lucky Dog Volleyball [firstname.lastname@example.org] if received by December 15 at 5 PM. There will be no refunds for withdrawn or dropped teams after this date.
- Teams that are not accepted into the tournament may remain on a waiting list - checks will not be cashed for teams that are not accepted into the event.
- The hotel survey opens early October 2017 - date TBA
Hampton MAPL | Hampton Headliner Showcase
There will be a volleyball recruiting showcase held on the evening of Friday January 26th for student-athletes interested in gaining exposure. While participants of the Hampton MAPL event are encouraged to attend, registration is open to anyone who meets the qualification. It is NOT required that your team participate in the MAPL tournament for you to register for the showcase event. For more information, click here.
Hampton MAPL | Schedule Format
- Match minimum guarantee is 6; some teams could play as many as 9
- Tournament schedule will be available through AES
- Power pooled, and all teams have opportunity for GOLD
- Three playing divisions, with a general tournament flow designed to create competitive match-ups in each wave
- Typically, less than ten 16's teams play in the BLACK division and less than ten 14's teams play in the BLUE division
- BLACK [16-18s]-66 teams
- BLUE [14-16s]-66 teams
- RED [13-14s]-24 teams
164 Total Teams
Hampton MAPL | Team Check-In
- All teams must check-in prior to their first match.
- Team Staff [a maximum of 3 per team] will receive a wristband provided they are USAV members and background-screened. This pertains to coaching staff, chaperones, and team representatives.
- Please note the check-in times and locations:
Friday January 26:
ALL TEAMS register between 7pm and 8:30pm at the Hampton Roads Convention Center Lobby of Hall B.
Saturday Morning January 27:
Teams will check-in at their designated playing location:
- Hampton Roads Convention Center: 7-11 AM in the lobby of Hall B
- Boo Williams Sportsplex: 7-11 AM at championship desk
Hampton MAPL | General Event Information
Spectator Admission [Both Locations]:
- Daily Admission: $10
- Weekend Pass: $15
- Children Admission: Free [aged 6 and under only]
Advanced Ticket Sales:
Online: Tickets may be purchased online until noon Friday January 26, 2018.
In Person: Tickets may be purchased on Friday night [January 26th] in the lobby outside of Hall B of the Hampton Roads Convention Center from 7pm-8:30pm.
Event Day Ticket Sales [Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th]:
- Hampton Roads Convention Center Lobby Adjacent to Hall B Entrance beginning at 7:00am.
- Boo Williams Sportsplex ticket window beginning at 7:00am
- Both facilities provide spectator seating. NO CAMP/SPORTS CHAIRS ALLOWED.
Facility Rules [Both Locations]:
- Outside food is not allowed. The concession stand has been CASH ONLY in the past.
- Coolers, stadium chairs, and large baggage are not allowed inside or outside of the facilities [lobby, playing venue, sidewalks].
- Team “camping” is prohibited.
- Boom boxes or portable speakers are not allowed to be used inside the facility unless they are connected to headphones.
- “Warm-up music” broadcasted from a speaker or sound system is not allowed.
- No tripods are allowed. A monopod may be used.
- Ball handling and horseplay is not allowed in the lobby areas.
Balls & Ball Handling [Both Locations]:
Lucky Dog Volleyball will have balls and carts available for check-out for teams that are flying. Please indicate whether you will need to check-out balls, so we can have them available at your playing location.
- The tournament ball is the Molten Super Touch™.
- For the safety and protection of our guests, ball handling is not allowed off the playing court surface.
- Loaner balls are available for teams travelling via plane.
- Concessions for the Hampton Roads Convention Center are provided by Embassy Suites. No outside food or drink is allowed in the competition venue.
- The Boo Williams Sportsplex has a snack bar.
Event parking at the Hampton Roads Convention Center and Boo Williams Sportsplex is free.
MAPL Hampton's official program guide will be displayed on high-tech green friendly rotating video boards throughout the tournament venues. The screens will display event information, tournament flows, and sponsors information. The Results Station will have laptop computers available for team roster, schedule and results information. As information is downloaded directly from AES, Lucky Dog Volleyball is not responsible for the accuracy of team rosters. The management of this information is the responsibility of each participating club.
You are encouraged to visit the Hampton Roads Convention Center website for a list of local restaurants, additional convention center information, hotels and surrounding area information.
The History & Goals of MAPL
The Mid-Atlantic Power League [MAPL, pronounced M-apple] was formed in 2008 from the Quest for Excellence Series by a collaboration of several mid-Atlantic area volleyball clubs and interested volleyball leaders. The goal of the league is to create cost-effective, high quality, and competitive, tournaments that are preparatory for national level competition. Furthermore, the Mid-Atlantic Power League is designed to bring the best volleyball clubs/team together from the East Coast.
We believe that MAPL events have supported the increased level of play of volleyball along the eastern seaboard, as such, east coast club teams are becoming increasingly competitive and on par with many of the strongest clubs in the country.
Geography and density of competition in the mid-Atlantic drove the formation of the power league and its unique format. By combining multiple age groups and using a power-pool tournament structure teams have quality matches from start to finish of each event.
MAPL events draw dozens of college coaches year after year. Why? College coaches comment on the convenience of MAPL events and the concentrated talent and great match ups the format provides. Additionally, MAPL events occur on non-holiday weekends and in a site that offers easy to navigate [not too big] but under one roof access to all athletes. All in all, MAPL events make it easy and fun for college coaches to see the best athletes from all along the eastern seaboard.
While events are independently hosted, every MAPL event is managed by the same tournament director and MAPL Competition Committee. MAPL events consider past and current team performance as a primary consideration for acceptance into MAPL events. When new teams apply for a MAPL event they will be prompted to complete an online survey allowing them to best characterize their team performance, makeup, and competition. Results as posted in Advanced Event Systems [AES] are used as a primary determinant for acceptance [when available] and seeding at all events. Teams are accepted on a rolling basis by the MAPL Competition Committee.
2018 College Recruiters Information & Registration
Register for the Friday Evening Showcase Here (free)
Register for the Tournament Here ($25/coach and $10/additional coach)
WHAT DO COLLEGE COACHES LIKE ABOUT MAPL EVENTS?
Recruiters enjoy MAPL events as they occur on non-holiday weekends and offer a high level of competition featuring mixed age levels and a power pool format, and great coach hospitality. The feedback every year is overwhelmingly positive. We make it easy and fun for them to see the best competition on the eastern seaboard.
Thank you to the over 100 colleges and universities represented at MAPL events in 2017. We look forward to seeing you back in 2018. All MAPL events available in University Athlete and AES Scout. College coaches can purchase access to rosters and schedules at the low cost of $25 for the first coach and $10 for any additional.
To learn more about our other MAPL events, visit the official Mid-Atlantic Power League site.